:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 13


Governor Robert Fullerton (1773-1831)

When Singapore, Malacca and Penang were grouped together to form the Straits Settlements in 1826, Fullerton became its first governor. In 1928 his name was given to an imposing red-roofed building (thetallest in Singapore at the time) right on the waterfront. The quadrangle and the small road next to it were named Fullerton Square and FullertonRoad. For many years this red-roofed building housed many important government departments, including the General Post Office shown in the stamp below.

The building now houses the elegant five-star hotel, The Fullerton.
Photo caption: The Fullerton Building (red roof)

Stamps: Left 1987 Feb     Right 2000 Mar


Written by victorkoo

8 April, 2008 at 10:00 am

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: