ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 26

page_26.jpg

P Govindasamy Pillai (1889-1980)

Govindasamy Pillai was just a teenager when he first arrived in Singapore in 1905. He started out as a shop assistant in Little India and eventually saved enough to buy the provision shop when the owner died in 1929. He changed the name of the shop to PGP (his initials). He then expanded his business by selling textiles and clothing. He opened more PGP stores in Singapore and across the Causeway.

Despite his success, Govindasamy Pillai lived a very simple life. He was a generous man and made it a point especially to share his wealth with the poor and less well-off. He donated to many causes, such as the Ramakrishna Mission Home, the University of Malaya Fund, and the Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple.

Incidentally, the Pillai Road off Upper Paya Lebar Road is not named after him. It is named after Naraina Pillai who came to Singapore in 1819.

___________________________________________
Stamp: 2001 Feb
___________________________________________

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

21 April, 2008 at 10:00 am

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: