ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Archive for May 2009

Back Cover

back_cover

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

28 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Page 17

page_17

Singapore Heritage: Places of Worship

For Singapore to achieve prosperity and progress there must be racial and religious harmony.

Followers of one religion must respect the followers and places of worship of another religion.

Information about places of worship can be found in the National Heritage Board website: http://www.heritagehub.com.sg

Written by victorkoo

25 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Page 16

page_16

Buddhist temples

The prominence of the Buddhist faith in Singapore is shown in the fact that there is a public holiday, Vesak Day, in honour Buddha.

There are more than 20 Buddhist temples in Singapore. At present there is no stamp showing any of them. The nearest reference to Buddhism is a Singapore stamp which shows the giant Buddha statue in Hong Kong.

Written by victorkoo

21 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Page 15

page_15

Maghain Aboth Synagogue and Chesed-El Synagogue

Gazetted as national monuments in 1998.

The Maghain Aboth Synagogue (built in 1878) and the Chesed-El Synagogue (built in 1905) cater to the Jewish community.

The Singapore stamp sheet below shows a symbol of the Jewish religion, the seven-branched candlestick known as the menorah.

The Chesed-El Synagogue in Oxley Road is near the Church of the Sacred Heart in Tank Road.

Written by victorkoo

18 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Page 14

page_14

Chapel of Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus

Gazetted as a national monument in 1990.

The well-known Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) School for girls was started by the Jesuit priest Father Beurel in 1854.

The chapel of the school was built in 1903, almost 50 years after the school started.

The convent buildings in Victoria Street now house the commercial complex known as CHIJMES.

Written by victorkoo

14 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Page 13

page_13

St Andrew’s Cathedral

Gazetted as a national monument in 1973.

St Andrew’s Cathedral stands on St Andrew’s Road, the same road fronting the historic City Hall, Supreme Court and Parliament House.

An earlier church on the site had been built by G. D. Coleman in 1835. However, the building was damaged by lightning in 1845 and 1849.

The present cathedral was built in 1856.

Written by victorkoo

11 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Page 12

page_12

Armenian Church

Gazetted as a national monument in 1973.

The Armenian Church is the oldest church in Singapore. It was built by G. D. Coleman in 1835.

The tombstone of Miss Joaquim (1854-1899), after whom our national flower Vanda Miss Joaquim is named, is located in the Memorial Garden of the Armenian Church.

A short walk away from the Armenian Church are two other churches, the St. Andrew’s Cathedral and the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd.

Written by victorkoo

7 May, 2009 at 1:00 pm