ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 8

page_08

The Istana

The Istana was known as the Government House before Singapore attained self-government in 1959.  It was designed by the Colonial Engineer, Major John Frederick Adolphus McNair and was built mainly by Indian convicts.

The Istana (Malay word for ‘Palace’) is located at the junction of Orchard Road and Cavenagh Road. Built in 1869 as a residence for the British Governors of Singapore, the Istana is now the official residence of the President of Singapore.

The Istana grounds are open to the public on special occasions, such as Hari Raya, Chinese New Year, Deepavali and Christmas.  On such occasions, visitors have the opportunity to meet the President.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

20 August, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: