ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 9

page_09

Supreme Court Building

Located in St Andrew’s Road, next to the City Hall, the Supreme Court building was designed by Frank Dorrington Ward, Chief Architect of the Public Works Department and completed in 1939.

On its facade, above the tall Corinthian pillars, is a beautiful figure representing Justice created by Italian sculptor, Cavalieri Rodolfo Nolli.

A new and larger complex designed by Lord Norman Foster has been built to accommodate the growing needs of the judiciary.  It takes over the site that was formerly occupied by a building known as Colombo Court.

This grand old building, and the adjacent City Hall will be turned into an art museum.  The Supreme Court Building was gazetted as a National Monument on 14 February 1992.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

24 August, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: