ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 10

page_10

City Hall

The City Hall building is a short stroll from the Singapore River.  Designed by Municipal Architect FD Meadows, this building was completed in 1929.  At that time, it was known as the Municipality and was the home of the Municipal Commission and its offices.  It became known as City Hall in 1951 when Singapore attained the status of a city.

Over the years, City Hall has served as the setting for several important milestones in Singapore history including:

  • The Japanese surrender (1945);
  • Proclamation of self-government (1959);
  • Proclamation of independence (1965).

City Hall was also the home of Singapore’s first Mayor Ong Eng Guan between 1957 and 1959.  From the late 1980s, it also served as part of the Supreme Court of Singapore.  It was gazetted as a National Monument on 14 February 1992.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

27 August, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. informative

    thanks for sharing

    Geotacs

    27 August, 2009 at 7:36 pm


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: