ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 15

page_15

PERFORMANCE VENUES

The Arts House

The present Arts House served as Parliament House from 1955 until the new Parliament complex was built in 2002.  Consequently, many older Singaporeans still refer to the Arts House building as the ‘Old Parliament House’.  It is located beside the Singapore River too.

Built in 1826-1827 by George Dromgold Coleman, this building in High Street has the distinction of being the oldest, surviving construction in Singapore.  At the entrance of the Arts House there is an elephant statue commemorating the visit of King Chulalongkorn of Siam to Singapore in 1871.  The building and its annex was declared a National Monument in 1992.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

14 September, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: