ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 25

page_25

Singapore Art Museum

The Singapore Art Museum, which opened in December 1996, has a large collection of Southeast Asian art works, including Singapore’s national art collection.  The museum complex was, for many years, the home of the well-known Catholic school, St Joseph’s Institution (SJI).  The school was set up by Father Jean Marie Beurel in 1846 in a wooden shed in the grounds of the Cathedral of Good Shepherd across the street from this building.  The foundation stone of the central block of this building was designed by Brother Lothaire, a French priest-architect.

Over the years, new features and extensions were made to the school.  Many of these features have been well preserved.

St Joseph’s Institution occupied this building from 1855 to 1988 when it moved to its new premises in Malcolm Road.

This building was gazetted as a National Monument on 14 February 1992.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

19 October, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: