ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 26

page_26

Singapore History Museum

The first purpose-built museum building in Singapore is the Singapore History Museum or National Museum located at the junction of Stamford Road and Fort Canning Road.  The museum was originally a section of the Raffles Library, located at the Singapore Institution.  Between 1872 and 1876, the Library and Museum was situated at the Town Hall (now Victoria Concert Hall), but moved back to Raffles Institution when space proved insufficient.  In 1882, the Colonial Government commissioned a brand new building for the Library and Museum.  The original design for this building was by Sir Henry McCullum but it proved too expensive to build.  A scaled down version of McCullum’s building was designed by Colonial Engineer JFA McNair.

The building was extended in 1906, 1916, 1926 and 1934.  In 1960, the Library split from the Museum and occupied its own building just next door.  The National Library Building… (to be cont’d in next page)

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

22 October, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: