ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 33

page_33

The Empress Place Museum was originally built as a Court House and it housed the Supreme Court of the Straits Settlements from 1867 to 1877.  The building was designed by Colonial Engineer, John Frederick Adolphus McNair.  In 1877, the Court moved back to its original home (Old Parliament House or now, the Arts House) and the Empress Place complex was transformed into a building for Government departments, and at one time, the entire colonial bureaucracy.  To locals, it was simply known as Government Offices.  In 1907, it was renamed Empress Place in memory of the late Queen Victoria.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

16 November, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: