ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 37

page_37

Hajjah Fatimah Mosque

This mosque was named after a wealthy female philanthropist, Hajjah Fatimah.  She was quite possibly the first woman entrepreneur and she donated the land and money to build the mosque sometime between 1845 and 1846.  The mosque’s minaret is about 6 degrees off vertical.  The mosque was gazetted as a National Monument on 6 July 1973.

Nagore Dargah

Along Telok Ayer Street is the Nagore Dargaha.  This Muslim place of worship was built by Indian Muslims, known as the Chulias, between 1828 and 1830.  The mosque was originally named Masjid Moulana Mohammad Ally.  It was later renamed in memory of holy man Shahul Hamid Dargah of Nagore, South India.  The mosque was gazetted as a National Monument on 29 November 1974.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

30 November, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: