ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 39

page_39

Sri Perumal Temple

The Sri Perumal Temple in Serangoon Road lies in the heart of ‘Little India’.  The original temple was a simple building put up in 1855.  The 20-metre high Gopuram was built in 1966 at a cost of S$300,000.  The five-tier Gopuram was donated by P Govindasamy Pillai, who is shown in the stamp above.  Pillai had a heart for poor children and, in particular, orphans.  He made substantial donations in support of the Sri Ramakrishna Mission Boys’ Home, an orphanage for boys.  The temple was gazetted a National Monument in 1978.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

7 December, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: