ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 42

page_42

St Andrew’s Cathedral

An important religious landmark in the Civic District is St Andrew’s Cathedral. It stands on St Andrew’s Road between City Hall and modern Raffles City.  An earlier church on the site has been built by George Dromgold Coleman in 1835.  However, the building was damaged by lightning strikes in 1845 and 1849.  The present Anglican cathedral was built in 1856.

It was designed by Colonel Ronald Macpherson, Executive Engineer and Superintendent of convicts.  To cut cost, Indian convict labour was used.  The Church’s foundation stone was laid by Reverend Daniel Wilson, Lord Bishop of Calcutta, on 4 March 1856, and the first service was held on 1 October 1861.  It was consecrated by Reverend GEL Cotton on 25 January 1862.  St Andrew’s Cathedral was gazetted as a National Monument on 6 July 1973.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

17 December, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: