ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 43

page_43

CHIJMES

The Convent of the Holy Infant Jeseus (CHIJ) School in Victoria Street was started by the Jesuit priest Father Jean Marie Beurel in 1854.

The beautiful CHIJ Chapel in the school grounds was built in 1903.  The school moved to Toa Payoh in the 1980s.  The convent was deconsecrated and the entire complex was converted into a commercial development known as CHIJMES.  It was gazetted as a National Monument in 1990.

Armenian Church of St Gregory

At the foot of Fort Canning hill, sits Singapore’s oldest surviving church – the Armenian Church.  Located at the junction of Hill Street, Coleman Street and Armenian Street, it was built by the Armenian community in 1835 and it was designed by George Dromgold Coleman.

The tombstone of Agnes Joaquim, after whom our national flower Vanda Miss Joaquim is named, can be seen in the church grounds. School children interested in plants may like to know that there is a Saga Tree and an Assam Tree in the church grounds.  The Church was gazetted as a National Monument on 6 July 1973.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

21 December, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: