ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 50

page_50

Fullerton Building

This red-roofed building was completed in 1928 and named after Robert Fullerton, first Governor of the Straits Settlements.  It sits on the site of an earlier General Post Office (see next page) which was torn down to make way for the larger building.

Located at the mouth of the Singapore River, the Fullerton Building also housed various government offices.  The General Post Office (GPO) was located in that building up to 1996.  It was then totally renovated and is now the elegant five-star Fullerton Hotel.  In its early years, the Fullerton Building dominated the Singapore skyline.  Today it is dwarfed by its surrounding skyscrapers.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

14 January, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: