ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 52

page_52

Singapore Post Centre

Singapore’s postal history is a rich one and the buildings that housed its main post office were some of the most important and outstanding in their time.

The building depicted on the stamp on the left is the Post Office and Exchange Building which stood on the site of what is now the Fullerton Hotel.  The Post Office was originally located near Empress Place but moved to this site in 1874.  This building was designed by William Daniel Bayliss and opened in 1879 and remained the home of the Post Office till 1924 when it was demolished to make way for the Fullerton Building.

Singapore’s current postal headquarters is the Singapore Post Centre (SPC) in Paya Lebar.  Besides being the corporate headquarters of Singapore Post, this futuristic-looking Centre has shops, restaurants and a supermarket to cater for non-postal needs.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

21 January, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: