ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 60

page_60

Elgin Bridge

A wooden bridge linking North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road was first built in 1822.  In 1863, the wooden bridge was replaced by a steel one.  This bridge was named after Lord Elgin (1811-1863), the Governor-General of India from 1861 to 1863.

The present elegant form of a reinforced-concrete bowstring design consisting of three parallel arches was built in 1929.

From Elgin Bridge one can get a grand view of the new Parliament House, the historic Singapore River and the skyscrapers of the city.

As this was the first bridge to be built across the Singapore River, it was often used as a geographical reference point.  As such, the roads on either side of the bridge were, from the earliest days, known as North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

18 February, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: