:: trivia retrieved ::

Archive for February 22nd, 2010

Page 61


Cavenagh Bridge

Near the mouth of Singapore River, there is a beautiful small bridge, built in 1868.  It is named after Governor Sir Orfeur Cavenagh.  It has the distinction of being Singapore’s oldest cast-iron bridge.  An interesting fault in design emerged at high tides – the barges could not pass under the bridge.

To cope with the ever-increasing volume of land traffic a bigger bridge (Anderson Bridge) was built in 1909 parallel to Cavenagh Bridge.  A sign was then put up on Cavenagh Bridge forbidding “vehicles, cattle and horses” from using the bridge.  The sign can still be seen to this day.

Coleman Bridge

George Dromgold Coleman designed many important structures and is regarded as Singapore’s first architect.

Down Singapore River, a bridge is named after him.  It links New Bridge Road and Hill Street.  The present steel-girded bridge was built in 1883 replacing the earlier wooden structures built in 1840 and 1865.

Quaint lamps reminiscent of Singapore’s colonial days can be found on Coleman Bridge.  The new Clarke Quay MRT Station is located next to the bridge.

Written by victorkoo

22 February, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,