ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 64

page_64

Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall

This building was the base of Chinese revolutionary leader Dr Sun Yat Sen.  It was built in about 1900 by wealthy Chinese merchant Boey Chuan Poh for his mistress, but he later sold it to rubber magnate Teo Eng Hock who named it Wan Qing Yuan.  In 1906, Sun came to Singapore and Teo, a passionate supporter, offered him the use of this villa which became the regional centre of Sun’s revolutionary Tong Meng Hui in Southeast Asia.  He last stayed at this villa in 1910.

Later, this property was sold to an Indian merchant and used as a private home.  In 1938, it was bought by six former comrades of Dr Sun, and put in the care of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce.  During the Japanese Occupation, it was used as the Japanese Communication Centre and Kempeitai Branch.  In 1964, it was renovated and renamed the Sun Yat Sen Villa.  It was gazetted as a National Monument in 1994.  In 1997, it was closed for extensive renovations.  It reopened in 2001 after the $8 million renovation as the Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

4 March, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: