ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 66

page_66

Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry Building

The Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry was founded in 1906 as the Chinese Commercial Association by leading Singapore businessman like Seah Liang Seah, Tan Jiak Kim, Tan Yong Siak, Tan Keong Siak and Goh Siew Tin.

At its inception the Chamber functioned from a room in the Thong Chai Medical Association in Wayang Street.  Later, it leased the old house of pepper merchant Wee Ah Hood (1828-1875) which occupied the site on which this present building was built.  In 1917, the Association was renamed Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce.

The foundation stone of the present building was laid by Dato Lee Kong Chian on 15 September 1962. The building was officially opened by Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew on 20 September, 1964.

The architecture of the building is a mix of Chinese and western styles.  A nine-dragon mural in glazed ceramic tile is found on the wall outside the building.  The two-part mural is based on the model of the mural on the North Bank of the North Sea Park in Beijing.  Six colours are used.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

11 March, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: