ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 67

page_67

Chinese Heritage Centre

Located in the Nanyang Technology University campus, the Chinese Heritage Centre building was built in 1953.  It was originally the Administration Block of the former Nanyang University, the first Chinese university outside China.

This historical four-storey building is a living remnant of the contributions of the overseas Chinese to tertiary education in Singapore.  Its distinctive Chinese architecture features a green-tiled roof and red bricked walls.  The building overlooks a beautiful Chinese-style pond and garden.

On 17 May 1995, this building found a new lease of life when it was officially opened as the Chinese Heritage Centre (CHC).  This National Monument also houses the Wang Gungwu library which contains various materials and resources related to overseas Chinese communities.  The CHC is the first centre to focus on the research of Chinese communities outside China.

The Chinese Heritage Centre building was gazetted as a National Monument on 18 December 1998.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

15 March, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

%d bloggers like this: