ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Archive for May 2010

Page 89

page_89

The stamps in this series also feature some of the wildlife found in the MacRitchie catchment area.  The first stamp on the left depicts the Colugo (Cynocephalus variegatus) or Malayan Flying Lemur.  The second stamp features the Singapore Adenia (Adenia macrophylla var. singaporeana), a rare forest-edge species which is found in Chek Jawa and along the pipeline in the Central Catchment Nature Reserve.  The third stamp shows the Red-Crown Barbet, a colourful bird named Megalaima rafflesii, after Sir Stamford Raffles.  The final stamp features the Common Tree Nymph (Idea stolli logani), a large beautiful butterfly with a wingspan of about 180mm.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

31 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 88

page_88

HSBC TREE TOP WALK

The Tree Top Walk is a joint effort by the National Parks Board (NParks) and Hongkong-Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) to promote nature appreciation and conservation.  It is located in the forested area between MacRitchie Reservoir and Pierce Reservoir and was opened in November 2004.

The Tree Top Walk is a free-standing suspension bridge that is about 250 metres long and 15-25 metres above the ground.  This height enables visitors and scientists to see and study the plant and animal life that goes on in the forest canopy.

Written by victorkoo

27 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 87

page_87

Singapore Zoological Gardens

The Singapore Zoological Gardens is not only a well-known landmark in Singapore, it is also one of the best-known zoos in the world.  The Zoo is located in Mandai near the Upper Seletar Reservoir.  It was built at the cost of $9 million and opened on 23 June 1973.

A unique feature of the zoo is its ‘open concept’.  Here the animals are not kept in cages but in open enclosures ringed by moats.  The animals’ habitats are designed to closely mimic those of its native environment.

Another unique feature of the Zoo is the ‘Night Safari’.  It is the world’s first night zoo and features nocturnal animals or ‘creatures of the night’.

The Night Safari, which occupies 40 hectares of land, was offiicially opened by Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong on 26 May 1994.

Written by victorkoo

24 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 86

page_86

Fort Canning Park

A landmark dating back to the 15th century is Fort Canning.  It was originally known as Forbidden Hill or Bukit Larangan.  This highland used to be the home of the early Malay royalty, before the coming of the European powers.

This hill was part of the first  botanical gardens established by Raffles in Singapore.  The Botanic Gardens lasted from 1822 to 1829 before it was abandoned.  In 1859, the hill was renamed Fort Canning in honour of Lord Canning, the first Viceroy of India.

A military complex built on the hill in the 1920s served as the headquarters of the British Forces for many years.  The first Christian cemetery in Singapore was also located up on Fort Canning.  Today, you can still see the old tombstones embedded along the walls of Fort Canning.  The gateway featured in this stamp leads into the cemetery and was designed by George Dromgold Coleman.  Fort Canning is no longer a military installation and is now a popular public park.  The fruit shown in the stamp is the Nutmeg.

Written by victorkoo

20 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 85

page_85

Marina City Park

The 26-hectare Marina City Park is built on reclaimed land.  The park has a spectacular 2-tiered large pond with an 18m-high fountain.  It is also known for the many sculptures that decorate the landscape.

Kranji & Kallang Rivers

The Kranji Reservoir and River featured in the stamp below (left) is one of the most important impounding reservoirs in the north-western part of Singapore.  It is located near the Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve.

The Kallang River and Basin has long been one of Singapore’s most important southern rivers.  Today, it is more important as a recreational hub than as a means of transport.

Written by victorkoo

17 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 84

page_84

Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve

This nature reserve, near Kranji River Park, is located in the north of Singapore facing the Malaysian state of Johore.

A long boardwalk through the swampy wetland enables the visitor to study mangrove flora and fauna in Sungei Buloh (without the inconvenience of getting wet.)

Besides native fauna, the animal life includes migratory birds which come here to escape the cold winter in North Asia.  Some migratory birds have stayed here and are now ‘permanent residents’. It is one of the most important bird sanctuaries in the region.

Jurong Bird Park

The Jurong Bird Park is Southeast Asia’s largest bird park.  The Park is the brainchild of former Deputy Prime Minister Dr Goh Keng Swee.  It contains more than 500 different species of birds, including birds that cannot fly but can swim (penguins).

The park was built at the cost of $3.5 million, and opened on 3 January 1971.  It features a huge ‘walk-in’ aviary and the world’s highest man-made waterfall.

Written by victorkoo

13 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 83

page_83

The stamp and $5 note on this page depict the famous Tembusu tree growing near the Cluny Road entrance of the Gardens.  Its picturesque dipping bough is a popular photography spot.

The aerogramme on the opposite page also features the Botanic Garden’s famous lake.  The ‘printed stamp’ features a delightful sculpture, ‘Girl on a Swing’ by English sculptor Sydney Harpley (1927-1992).  It was commissioned by Singapore’s first Chief Minister David Saul Marshall.  He donated this and two other Harpley sculptures – ‘Lady on a Hammock’ & ‘Girl on a Bicycle’ – to the Gardens in 1984.

Written by victorkoo

10 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,