ReTRIeVIA

:: trivia retrieved ::

Page 83

page_83

The stamp and $5 note on this page depict the famous Tembusu tree growing near the Cluny Road entrance of the Gardens.  Its picturesque dipping bough is a popular photography spot.

The aerogramme on the opposite page also features the Botanic Garden’s famous lake.  The ‘printed stamp’ features a delightful sculpture, ‘Girl on a Swing’ by English sculptor Sydney Harpley (1927-1992).  It was commissioned by Singapore’s first Chief Minister David Saul Marshall.  He donated this and two other Harpley sculptures – ‘Lady on a Hammock’ & ‘Girl on a Bicycle’ – to the Gardens in 1984.

Advertisements

Written by victorkoo

10 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 82

page_82

Written by victorkoo

6 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 81

page_81

(cont’d from previous page)… completed in 2007.  As part of the Botanic Gardens’ major refurbishment scheme, a public reference library will be added.  By 2010, an MRT station will be located at the Garden’s doorstep at the junction of Bukit Timah Road and Cluny Road.

In 2005, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced plans to develop a second botanic garden on Marina Bay.  Known as ‘Gardens on the Bay’, it consists of 3 gardens covering 94 hectares of land.  An international design competition has been organised to select the best designs for this new showpiece and landmark.

Written by victorkoo

3 May, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 80

page_80

NATURE PARKS

Singapore Botanic Gardens

Singapore’s first botanic gardens were located at Fort Canning.  It was opened in 1822 and was abandoned in 1829.  The second Botanic Gardens was founded at its present site in 1859 by the Agri-Horticultural Society.  These Gardens were situated on a 23-hectare site previously owned by Hoo Ah Kay (Whampoa).  In 1866, the Society bought another 100 hectares of land from the Napier Estate.  By 1874, the Society could not keep up with the cost of upkeeping the Gardens and the Government stepped in and took over its administration.  The Singapore Botanic Gardens are bounded by Holland Road, Cluny Road and Tyersall Avenue.

The Botanic Gardens may be credited for the birth of the rubber industry in South-east Asia.  The interest in rubber started in 1877 from the twenty-two seedlings planted in the Gardens by the Gardens’ first Director, Henry Ridley.  He was often referred to as ‘Mad Ridley’ for his fervent and oftentimes overly-enthusiastic advocacy of rubber cultivation.  From 1870 to 1903, the Botanic Gardens also housed Singapore’s first zoo.  It closed down for lack of funds.

The familiar cone-roofed structure in the stamps is the Bandstand.  Here the well-loved Police Band used to perform regularly for the public.

The Singapore Botanic Gardens recently acquired some 11 hectares of land for expansion on its Cluny Road section.  This includes the Jacob Ballas Children’s Garden along Bukit Timah Road to be… (cont’d in next page)

Written by victorkoo

29 April, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 79

page_79

(cont’d from previous page)… location.  It is said to be located on the palm of Singapore’s ‘left hand’; the right palm being Raffles Place.

Suntec City Mall is Singapore’s largest shopping mall and is divided into four thematic zones with close to 300 retail outlets.  The length of Suntec City Mall stretches one kilometer from end to end.

Written by victorkoo

26 April, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 78

page_78

Suntec City

Shopping is an activity that tourists and Singaporeans enjoy.  They can visit the Suntec City, which is the biggest privately-owned commercial office complex in Singapore. Launched in 1995, it consists of an international convention centre, four 45-storey high office towers, one 18-storey office block, and a huge shopping mall built around a Fountain Terrace.  The concept for the mega-mall and convention city is the brainchild of the architectural firm of Tsao & McKownn (Singapore) Pte Ltd while its Principal Consultant is DP Architects Pte Ltd.

The ‘Fountain of Wealth’ is the world’s largest and covers an area of over 1,600 sq m.  It is made of cast bronze and cost an estimated $9 million to build in 1997.  The Fountain has become a tourist attraction in itself.  Its elevated bronze ring,  supported by four pillars encircles the fountain.  The ring is 21 metres in diameter while the pillars are 14 metres high.  The waters can spurt up to 30 metres in height.

Many geomancy or feng-shui experts attribute Suntec City’s success to its excellent… (cont’d on next page)

Written by victorkoo

22 April, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,

Page 77

page_77

Orchard Road

The ever-popular shopping destination for local and overseas shoppers is in Orchard Road.  This 1987 stamp shows some of the tall buildings in the ever-busy Orchard Road area.  Known for its shops and hotels, the area is served by three MRT stations:  Orchard, Somerset and Dhoby Ghaut.  The big tall building shown in the centre of the stamp is the Meritus Mandarin Hotel.  The tall building on the left is Comcentre while the building in the background on the right topped by a Chinese pagoda roof is the Marriot Hotel.

Peranakan Place

Peranakan Place (below) is located just off Orchard Road at the base of Emerald Hill. Orchard Road and Emerald Hill used to be home to plantations and orchards.  Eventually, houses and shophouses were built along the streets in the area.  These terrace houses in Peranakan Place have been beautifully restored.

The Peranakans evolved from the inter-marriage of Chinese and Malays.  These Straits Chinese adapted certain Malay customs, language and practices.  A number of Peranakan families used to live in this area.

Written by victorkoo

19 April, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Posted in Philatelic Book

Tagged with , ,